Blue Planet Photography - Art From Earth

I'm a professional photographer and this blog generally contains information about photography. But, since I also spent part of my life as a wildlife biologist, there will be some items about the environment as well. Maybe even some irritable ramblings.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nampa, Idaho, United States

6/05/2006

Photoshelter Update

Back in January I wrote about Photoshelter.com as a seemingly very useful option for both archival storage of digital files and a "turn-key" website for photographers who don't have time to code a website themselves or hire someone to do it for them. One aspect of PhotoShelter was the ability to sell prints which were processed through partner EZPrint. For me, I would rather have control over the quality of prints that I sell online, ensuring that everything was the way I wanted it to look before I sent it out to a buyer. Entrusting that process to just anyone can bite back pretty hard. As a result of comments I'm sure are similar to that, PhotoShelter has initiated a self-fulfillment option on print sales that allows photographers to upload low-res images for review and then handle the creation of prints on their end, whether they create the print themselves or outsource.

This is a good move on the part of PhotoShelter. I haven't joined up, but everything I've heard has been positive from those who have. By giving the photographer as much freedom as possible to modify and use the service as best fits their own style, rather than trying to box users into a defined set of "preferred" vendors, will make the user community very happy and show that this is an operation in for the long haul rather than just catching a wave for a quick in and out.

Bravo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home