Blue Planet Photography - Art From Earth

I'm a professional photographer and this blog generally contains information about photography. But, since I also spent part of my life as a wildlife biologist, there will be some items about the environment as well. Maybe even some irritable ramblings.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nampa, Idaho, United States

5/06/2006

Blue Planet Photography Studio is Moving

The vagaries of being in business and not owning your own building. The building I'm currently renting space in was sold in January and the business that purchased it is expanding and not renewing leases. So, I and the other businesses in this building are being given the boot. I've got until the end of the month to move out. This area has been gong through some serious change these past few months (actually the past year or so, but accelerating over the past 4 months or so). Rents have doubled in many cases, driving long-time businesses out of established areas. As of this month I am the only proper photography studio in town. The rest have closed up shop or moved back to their houses due to exhorbitant rent increases. The last to move out was a portrait studio in downtown that had its rent doubled.

So, I will be joining the "photography business out of your home" club, or returning to that membership since that's where I started. It might be a good thing. I'm also looking for a smaller space. Turns out I wasn't ready for a large space, even though it is quite nice. The overhead was hard to meet some months and as it turns our this area has a very depressed market for photographic services, rate-wise and demand. Even though I had a large studio capable of most any work requirement, and I provide an excellent, quality service, local businesses still feel the need to take their jobs into Boise (20 miles away) or even out of state. It doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm still in business, creating fine art, producing my photo-imaged products, doing what commercial and portrait work I can do at home, still doing location work, so I'm not quitting. Repeat, I'm not quitting.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. This weekend is being spent clearing out space at the house for about 3X more stuff than I left there with. That's going to be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home