Blue Planet Photography - Art From Earth

I'm a professional photographer and this blog generally contains information about photography. But, since I also spent part of my life as a wildlife biologist, there will be some items about the environment as well. Maybe even some irritable ramblings.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nampa, Idaho, United States

12/29/2005

Cleaning DSLR sensors

There are several techniques and products for cleaning dust and debris from the CCD or CMOS sensor on digital SLR cameras (cameras with non-removeable lenses don't have to worry about this). I started out with Eclipse fluid and sensor swabs www.photosol.com but using fluid to clean the sensor on my 1Ds made me a bit worried. Used properly, the method is likely safe. But, as with all things fluid, accidents do happen. So, I started looking around for another method and came across Visible Dust, a Canadian company that manufactures electrostatic brushes for sensor cleaning. These tools resemble paint brushes but are made of very fine strands that are activated (charged) and cleaned by blowing compressed air through the bristles. I purchased a set last spring and I have to say I've been very happy with the performance. One or two swipes across the sensor with a dry brush and most, if not all, dust specks are removed from the middle as well as the edges and corners. Quick and easy.

One issue, though, is with the use of canned air to blow across the bristles. Canned air can spit freon and other liquid compounds that can get onto the bristles and then to your sensor. Also, compressed cans of air are not allowed on airline flights and may be difficult or impossible to find in out-of-the-way destinations. So, Visible Dust has come out with a new product called the Sensor Brush SD, which is basically a motorized handle that fits the sensor brush and spins it, both cleaning and charging without the use of canned air. This accessoriy is estimated to cost about $38 US (depending upon the CAN-US curency conversion rate at time of purchase). I don't have the Sensor Brush SD, but I'm considering it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home